20 Pregnancy Beliefs and Myths
When you are pregnant, you tend to attract a lot of advice from people around you. Here are some of them I have heard before… some are pretty amusing!
1. Do not announce your pregnancy until after the first trimester. This is probably the most common one I know of and is also practiced in other countries.
2. Try not to look at animals or your baby will look like one. Pregnant women are encouraged to look at photos of cute babies in order to have a beautiful child herself.
3. Do not shift house or move the furniture as it affects the Feng Shui at home. It is believed that if you relocate, it may affect the Fetal God and lead to miscarriage. If there is a must to move, the pregnant lady should not witness the move.
4. Always satisfy your pregnancy cravings or the baby will be born with birth marks. Meaning, if you were craving apples but it was not satisfied, your baby will be born with an apple shaped birthmark. Another one about this is that the baby will always be drooling during babyhood. Well, I did not have any cravings when i was pregnant but my son was a drool-y baby. *shrugs*
5. Do not cut or sew anything on the bed as this may lead to birth complications or defects.
6. Do not drill or saw anything especially on doors at home as it affects the Door God and in turn will not block out the evil spirits from entering the room
7. Do not attend any funerals or weddings
8. Do not change the position of the bed as the position is critical to the health of the baby
9. The colours of the food you eat will affect the colour of your baby. If you drink more white milk than chocolate milk, your baby will be fairer. (This one amuses me since everyone knows the colour of the skin is really due to the genes).
10. Pregnant women should always stay happy. Their mood during pregnancy determines the baby. If the mother is unhappy and cries during pregnancy, the baby will be a crybaby in future.
11. Pregnant women should carry a sharp object with them at all times (like a nail) to ward away evil spirits.
12. Avoid setting up the baby’s crib or pram before the baby is born. It is not auspicious to have an empty pram in the house.
13. Do not visit a house that has been vacant for a long time to avoid exposure to spirits that may have been living in the house.
14. Pregnant women should not get a haircut as it symbolises cutting off their life force (the baby).
15. Did your partner gain weight? If he did, the baby is likely a girl.
16. Drink coconut water during your last trimester to birth a clean baby.
17. If you are expecting a baby boy, you will look radiant and beautiful. If you are having a baby girl, the baby will drain your beauty.
18. Raising your arms in the air will cause your umbilical cord to tangle.
19. Some people believe that it is bad luck to receive or open gifts for the unborn baby.
20. Rubbing the pregnant belly too much will lead to a spoilt child.
Do you believe in any of those above? Also, are there any other beliefs that you know of? If you do, feel free to share them with me.